Battles continue tonight. Pharrell, Christina and Adam each have only 1 steal left, so I hope they use it to the rightful person. Hah.
On a breaking news, Nate Ruess (of the band, Fun.) will mentor the artists on the Knockouts Round starting next Monday. I’m excited and I give you just one reason (HA!) — that guy is a solid vocalist!
Anyway, here’s how third night of battles went..
Briar Jonnee (vs) Caitlin Caporale
– This is uneven for me in terms of performance. I neither liked it or not. As a battle, this was almost even albeit some pitch issues from both singers. Briar started really strong but as her delivery progress, her phrasing is a mess and her verses were muddled. With Caitlin, there’s a thin quality in her voice when she reached on those high registers that I find unpleasant. The end, when they tried to outdo each other with thag glory note is a vocal fail for me. Haha. 6
WINNER: Caitlin Caporale
Barry Minniefield (vs) Jack Gregori
– This flat out okay. I can see why the results ended this way. Barry had more stage presence than Jack but other than that, I just really didn’t mind this battle at all. 5
WINNER: Barry Minniefield
Katelyn Read (vs) Treeva Gibson
Addicted To Love
– This was pretty close and no, it’s not perfect vocally, but I thought both did a really good job. There is something interesting with Katelyn’s quality of voice that I like but Treeva’s great control won this battle I guess. 6.5
WINNER: Treeva Gibson
Kimberly Nichole (vs) Lowell Oakley
– This is not a perfect vocal performance but it was entertaining. I enjoyed Lowell more here because there is more personality from him while still managing to keep his vocals solid. Kimberly was fine albeit a grating quality in his tone that I really thought is affected. But then what do I know.. 7
WINNER: Lowell Oakley
STEAL – Kimbely Nichole (Team Christina)
Brenna Yaeger (vs) Kelsie May
– The twang between these girls is really evident! Haha. I think Brenna won this battle because of her vocal choices but that is nothing to take away from Kelsie May as I thought both are actually neck to neck. But at the end, I find this quite boring. 6
WINNER: Kelsie May
India Carney (vs) Clinton Washington
– There is drama in here that I thought really worked as it brought more dimension and connection with the material. India, despite some phrasing issues, sounded like a pro and she obviously killed this one with her technicalities. But Clinton surprised me. There is restraint from him that is lovely. His vocals sounded really strong as it progresses. 8
WINNER: India Carney
STEAL – Clinton Washington (Team Adam)