X Factor Australia is now on its seventh (7th) season and for 3 years, I actually enjoyed covering and watching this franchise.
Coming from a two week auditions, boot camp and super home visits, I must say that this is a solid and strong Top 12 we have. Not to mention, even those who didn’t make the live shows were pretty compelling.
For the first (1st) live shows, the theme is Judges’ Choice or simply let your artist whatever the heck you like them to sing. Lol.
While I thought this is still a solid top 12, I find them either not in their element tonight or the mentor’s screw them up with song choices.
Now let us rank the top 12.
12. BIG T
– For starter, I find the song choice odd. I like Big T but this performance is really bad. From the over the top vocals to the awful wardrobe, I just missed – in Harry Connick Jr.’s words – his gravy. It just didn’t really anything but give us a big bang of brouhaha. 3
11. NATALIE CONWAY
Spectrum (Say My Name)
– I don’t know if she could hear herself or I am just missing what the judges’ heard from her but I feel like the whole performance is screechy and all over the place. Her pitch was off, the vocals were grating. 3
10. IN STEREO
– I know they have potential coming in but this is just the wrong song choice for them. It didn’t really bring anything from them and the vocals were really shaky and uneven. 3
9. MICHAELA BARANOV
– Sure, she sounded really on point but her stage presence is awful. She looked really rehearsed and at some point very awkward. The vocals then suddenly faltered and became sleepy. 3.5
8. LOUISE ADAMS
Somebody To Love
– I’ve heard better versions of this and I don’t know, I just didn’t really feel connected with this. Louise sounded like she was trying so hard, but the overall delivery felt more like a decent karaoke version. 4
7. JIMMY DAVIS
Long Train Running
– Cheesy, corny and all in all karaoke. The song choice didn’t really bring anything exciting for Jimmy. Sure, he made the most out of it and his vocals were mostly spot on. 4.5
6. MAHALIA SIMPSON
Is You Is Or Is You Ain’t My Baby
– The song choice itself is odd for her. I love how she transformed from that shy girl to a more comfortable artist on stage (see that Michaela?) but this was just blah. 5
5. GEORGIA DENTON
Hold My Hand
– Georgia sounded nice in most parts but her performance is really forgettable. 5.5
4. DAN HAMILL
– At first, I am not really sure if I like this or not. Dan stayed faithful with the original in most parts but his added inflections created new layers for the performance. The vocals were uneven but I did like some of his pretty vocal moments. 6.5
3. THE FISHER BOYS
Can’t Feel My Face
– Great production. Awesome stage presence. Weak vocals. I feel like the band or the backtrack overpowered them in some parts. Nonetheless, they did a really good job tonight. 7
2. JESS & MATT
Heart Of Glass
– I like that they let Jess shine tonight. Usually, it was Matt who is holding the couple in terms of performance. Matt provided a fantastic support while allowing Jess to deliver a decent vocal. The vocals were not perfect but when they sang together, they actually sounded divine. 7
1. CYRUS VILLANUEVA
– Solid. Cyrus sounded really good albeit the rhythm quite tricky. His pitch was nice. His vocals were gorgeous. His added grit and falsettos were wonderful too. Lovely take on this Justin Bieber hit. 7.5