Finally! After reviewing every single performances of The Voice Australia Season 4 again, I now have come up with a compelling subjective list for this season’s best performances.
Yes, I don’t usually rely on my every episode review because I think it is best to embrace the performances the second time around. So it is either I really like what I like or I had a second thought of those I didn’t like and think that that certain performance is actually a good one.
Now in a nutshell, season 4 of The Voice Australia is actually a lot of fun to cover. Sure the format is still crappy but I digress. Jessie J is a welcoming surprise. I am shocked on Delta’s choices. And the season had some really good pool of talents.
Now let us see who made the cut of my list. This is very subjective, okay.
Here we go.
20. BRING ME SOME WATER
Peta Evans – Taylor
– There’s a spunk and renewed comfidence from her in this performance that screams “I can do better what I did the last couple of weeks, let me show you!” and she proved that she could do an all around performance that is fierce, vocally competent and pitch on point.
19. SEXY & I KNOW IT
– Sure the arrangement isn’t original and it was something that has been attempted from other reality singing competitions around the world and they got tons of praises. But to be fair, Jason delivered a sexy, confident and surprisingly engaging audition. His vocals were on point and he was able to work that stage effortlessly.
18. HOLD MY HAND
– Lyndall’s problem in her past performances is that she usually mimic the original and delivery a passable karaoke version but something happened this week and it was in the right time. With a slowed down, intimate arrangement, Lyndall’s vocals were front and center and her performance is her best to date.
17. MARRY THE NIGHT
– Technically, Naomi is one of – if not – the best vocalist for this season of The Voice Australia. And in the past weeks, she consistently deliver performances that were tailor made for her. I did ask for something current and she gave us that. Final product? It was a fantastic performance! Her vocals were once again spot on and this allows us to see that she can be current.
– Understated, strong and lovely! For him to be eliminated in this round was a surprising move from the Madden brothers for I really thought that Jake was able to deliver a beautiful and soulful acoustic bit! Great stuff.
15. LAY ME DOWN
– From the moment he opened his mouth, I was at awe. Stewart’s richness in his tone and yet a melting quality to it made me feel like I’m laying down – no pun intended – on a bed of cotton! It was comforting yet vulnerable. It wasn’t perfect yet captivating.
14. LEAN ON
– Who knew that a Major Lazor song could work on a reality singing competition? And Ellie just nailed it with ease and confidence. With her distinctive tone and almost pitch perfect delivery, Ellie showcased that she could be well rounded and any genre could work as long as she puts her “Ellie” style to it.
13. BOOM CLAP
– I still can’t believe Delta lets her go because potential wise, Grace has it. Vocals, she can deliver. Star power, she exudes it naturally. And this was probably her strongest showing to date. She gained enough confidence, it was understated and beautiful. Her vocal choices were gorgeous. It was a lovely acoustic take on this Charli XCX hit.
– Scott has a tone that is genuinely lovely! He is charismatic, charming and a body that is easily marketable! Scott has soul too and it showed so much with his audition piece of “Red”. Then he exudes a sexiness that naturally plays along his impeccable vocals.
– Amber’s audition song worked perfectly for her. Her tone matches it well. Her pitch was on point. And the liberties she took were spot on. Not to mention, how she managed to hit those high notes effortlessly, makes me still wonder.. “Where did that come from?”
– The build up to this performance is impeccable. Joe’s vocals were riveting and his charming, boy next door aura provided a confident and admirable bit of solid delivery!
– The song choice was tailor-made for Ellie. Have you heard her a capella bit take on Lorde’s “Royals” during the Blinds? So this was a walk in the park but somehow Ellie managed to still keep it interesting, fresh and solid! Her vocal choices were strong. Her vocals were lovely!
8. DON’T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA
– When I first found out the song choice, I cringe rightfully as I feel like it added 10 more years to her. But then something happened and I was captivated! It was a beautiful delivery from Naomi! And even if the build up to its climax took quite too long, I didn’t care. Her delivery of the song was just lovely and gorgeous. It didn’t sound dated at all which is unusual since she gave a straight on like the original arrangement! I think it was the vocals and the liberties she took.
7. LET IT GO
– His rich yet silky tone provided a solid wrap up to this James Bay tune. That has been Liam’s strongest point. And as the performance progress, it gets even better and better amd made me think that this is the kind of music Liam should do. It wasn’t boring or trying hard. It was emotionally invested and beautifully delivered.
6. LAST REQUEST
– This was lovely! Joe consistently deliver a radio ready, vocally strong and compelling performances. He never really did anything that is throwaway. His tone was front and center and his delivery is simply lovely.
5. SHAKE IT OFF
– Sure, the arrangement is polarizing and while it took me awhile before I could embrace and recognize the song, I thought it was still a strong, fresh and brave performance from Nathan. It was an absolute dynamic performance even without those high, belting notes, it still is mesmerizing! The middle parts is phenomenal and the end is the cherry on top.
– Could’ve been my favorite blind audition this season because it was almost a perfect and impeccable performance. His transitions were precise. The falsettos were clean and fantastic. It was an absolute charismatic audition from Ethan.
3. THE BLOWER’S DAUGHTER
– There’s a vulnerability in this performance that created dynamics and depth from Joe that I never really thought he could do! His vocals weren’t perfect but it was sensational! Great job.
2. I KISSED A GIRL
– Ellie took a risk and it paid off quite well. Her tone provided a fantastic and compelling take on the song. It was a cool take too which made it sound fresh, current and a solid rendition of this Katy Perry hit.
1. I SEE FIRE
– From the moment he opened his mouth to the very last end note, Joe showed how radio ready he is and how his voice is what sells nowadays. Not to mention, his vocals were really impeccable and this was an absolute fantastic blind audition. I knew from her on, he would do great in the competition.