It short (not really) and fast run but I must say this season of X Factor Australia is a joy to cover and watch. The talent as a whole is pretty solid and the performances were averaging from good to amazing. Plus we welcome two new judges who are bickering back and forth together with the other two judges. One handsome Luke Jacobsz who got a smooch from James Blunt and all in all a really good season of this franchise.
As I usually do on the reality singing shows when a season ends, here is a wrap-up post of the 20 Best Performances that I personally thought stole the show for this season. This is quite subjective. I hust realized how Cyrus Villanueva and the duo of Jess & Matt donimated this season no?
Here you go.
20. HEART OF GLASS
Jess & Matt
– There is a husky quality in Jess’ voice that I like. At first I thought it was too breathy but as the performance went on it actually complimented Matt’s vocals. In the end, the two delivered a solid acoustic take on Heart of glass!
19. TOCA’S MIRACLE
– I have never been a fan of Natalie but I did lover her take on Toca’s Miracle. It was breathtaking, solid and the vocals were top notch! Not to mention, Natalie is flying… literally!
– The gritty, acoustic take on this Justin Bieber ditty is just the tip of an iceberg from Cyrus as he showed his musicality without coming across as show off and also giving us vocal talent with those falsettos, dynamics and liberties he took that just made this performance compelling and memorable.
17. DANCING IN THE DARK
Jess & Matt
– Jess & Matt’s take on Dancing in the dark is in my taste a delicious, simple sweet revenge! The duo who were put on the bottom 2 multiple times just showed that they are viable artist post X Factor and that they have great vocals to back up their talent! Such a solid cover in my opinion.
16. CAN’T FEEL MY FACE
The Fisher Boys
– The choreography may be so cheesy at some point but there is no denying that The Fisher Boys delivered the strongest performance of Week 1. Their vocals were solid. The remarkable stage presence is impeccable and the group was just outstanding in totality.
15. I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU
Jess & Matt
– I was made for loving you is a song I never imagined Jess & Matt would sing but they surprised me and it ended up to be oen of the strongest performances of the night. Jess sounded lovely and Matt was simply solid too. The couple also looked beautiful as they took a watercooler performance.
– In Stereo had so much potential coming in to the live shows but they started shaky in the early weeks as I feel like Guy hasn’t figured out the strength of his boys. Good thing he took them back on what worked on them. These three young guys were not the biggest voices of the season but the simple, acoustic take on this current Ed Sheeran hit made a difference. Their vocals were solid. The harmonies were beautiful and the individual verses were lovely.
13. WHOLE LOTTA LOVE
– Big T to me looked like a guy who is just so into himself and the way he presents himself on self rubs me the wrong way as I feel like he is arrogant but I know that is not true but that is what I feel when it comes to his stage presence but that also is the reason why I love his performance of Whole lotta love as it matches the way Big T presented himself. His vocals were over the top beautiful and it was just a solid performance from the big guy.
12. HOLD BACK THE RIVER
– I live the whole production if this performance as it showed us a more fun side of Cyrus. Seriously, I wanna play with that “river” like stage design they did for him. But more than that, Cyrus sounded beautiful and he just made the performance looked easy and simple. His vocals were spot on. He is oozing with so much confidence.
11. DREAM ON
– Dream on is difficult to pull off. But it worked perfectly witg Louise raspy voice! It sounded right with enough play on her dynamics and her phrasing sounded lovely!
Jess & Matt
– The production is just commendable! X Factor really do pull off fantastic stage designs/production value. But more than that, the individual verses of this performance is just outstanding. And when they hit the chorus, the blend of their voices sounded beautiful.
9. EARNED IT
– On a finale night where he needed to reprise his audition, it was smart for him and his mentor Chris to actually do a different take than his fantastic audition. Yes I would love to listen on the acoustic take once again but this pop cover is as good as that. And more so, we saw a popstar rise and deliver a confident, full of slick movements and a quality of performance that looked more like he is a guest rather than a contestant proved that Cyrus will and can exist in the current music industry.
8. RUMOR HAS IT
– Sure, Cyrus didn’t do anything spectacular with this Adele hit but to actually perform a pitch perfect, astonishing phrasing and incredible vocal work on a song that is full of dynamics and I guess hard to pull off? He did a bang up job and I love it! It was vocally spectacular and that bridge where the band allowed us to just listen on the gorgeousness of Cyrus’ vocals? Great stuff!
7. YOU’RE THE ONE THAT I WANT
Jess & Matt
– The arrangement at first left me a bit confused but once I got the beauty of it, I thought it was genius and fantastic! And I love how Jess & Matt’s voices blended in the tune. It was a lovely take with some semi-edge things happening on the totality of the performance.
– This is the Mahalia everybody rooted for during the auditions. The quiet, simple and yet emotion full performance allows Mahalia’s vocals to be front and center. And she delivered a phenomenal take on this Lionel Richie hit.
5. KNOCKIN’ ON HEAVEN’S DOOR
– Cyrus is a pro. At this point of the competition, there is no stopping this guy as he showed yet again how he is a reliable vocalist who will deliver time after time. His take om Knockin’ on heaven’s door is simply outstanding. His vocal control is perfect. His tone was lovely. His gorgeous phrasing is superb. What more can I say?
4. PEOPLE HELP THE PEOPLE
– Louise showed impeccable vocals with sublime dynamics and controlled phrasing. Her vocals sounded lovely with so much ease and passion. And hearing Louise delivered a quiet and full of restraint performance is a breath of fresh air.
3. DO YOU REMEMBER
Jess & Matt
– Jess & Matt in the early rounds were clearly not taken seriously by the public with their numerous appearance on the bottom 2 and I don’t really understand why. This duo as the competition goes on just keeps getting better. One of their highlights is Do you remember where they started showing great vocal dynamics, impeccable chemistry and spot on harmonies. I must admit, I ain’t familiar with the song but Jess & Matt made me look for and download it.
– During this night, hands down it came to my mind that this is the best performance of the season. But who cares, it was still the winner who delivered the top and runner-up performance of the season. His vocals were not perfect but the emotion he put in it captured how beautiful the song is and how it should be done. Lovely winning monent Cyrus!
1. WICKED GAME
– After watching the whole season once again, I go back and forth.. back and forth and in the end Cyrus’ performance of Wicked Game hands down won me over. This is the time where Cyrus became clearly the front runner of the competition. The way he navigated the song was just pure magic. His vocals were spot on. He caressed every single verse with so much ease and the sublime vocals is like butter melting, smooth and delicious. Well done.